Thursday, April 5, 2007

on riding rollers

For those of you who know me, you know that I hate riding the trainer more than almost anything! Even watching TV, listening to music, channeling Lance Armstrong..nothing is more boring or mind-numbing than pedaling that trainer! Thank goodness I live in Southern California, where I don't often have to ride inside. However, occasionally I have a workday when I just cannot find daylight hours to ride, and so I have to ride indoors.

About a month ago, I aquired a used set of Kreitler rollers. I have always been intrigued by rollers, as they seemed a lot more interesting than riding a trainer, since you actually had to have some SKILL to stay upright! I taught myself to use the rollers by putting them in a doorway so I could lean against something. It didn't take too long to get the hang of it, and it is really quite fun! But the weather has been so nice lately that there has been no need for them, so they sat in the den collecting dust. Until yesterday, when I was too busy to ride during the day. So I pulled them out and hopped on. After about 15 minutes, I started to get bored and a bit cocky, so I decided to use this workout to do some tricks. I've always been in awe of people who can do things like put on a jersey while on the rollers, etc. Now, I can't go so far as to say I have learned to do that, but I can say that by the time my 75 minutes on the rollers were up I could, while on the rollers, shift gears (ok..so it was only my 2nd time on them), drink from my water bottle, ride one handed, ride no-handed (ok only for a few seconds), ride on one side of the rollers, ride on the other side of the rollers, get into my drops, sprint (not out of the saddle yet), pedal a cadence of 125rpm, and successfully dismount from the rollers without causing myself severe pain, grabbing on the wall, or crashing!

Happy rolling...

No comments: