Tuesday, April 24, 2007

the continued saga of bike troubleshooting...

so, I'm hesitant to say my bike shifting issues are behind me...but it's looking up! I survived the 8am group ride today with NO mis-shifting whatsoever. The newest attempt at fixing the shifting issues plaguing my races was to put a shimano chainring onto my FSA crank. Ok...so it looks a little klugey...it is an attempt to fix what has become a very annoying problem, and less expensive than the solution that I keep thinking of during races, which is to get off the bike and hurl it off a cliff (seriously thought about that during the CtC RR)!

So the bike worked perfectly for the first 5 months I had the crank. I estimate I put about 3000 miles on it in this time, and never had a mis-shift. Then, in the past 2 weeks, it has given me nothing but trouble! I do have a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, so it's not like the mechanism is hard for me to figure out! However, this just makes it more infuriating and more mysterious when it doesn't work!

So....when you see me on a group ride don't make TOO much fun of my FSA/Shimano composite crank/chainring setup :-). At this point, I don't care what it looks like...as long as it gets me through a race without mishap! Then, if I get dropped, it will be all me, and I will honestly be able to say "its NOT about the bike"!

Ciao

No comments: